Saturday, September 5, 2009

Breakfast At Tiffany's

"I'm crazy about Tiffany's..." ~ Holly Golightly

I have breakfast at Tiffany's every morning.

Okay, well not exactly.

I have my $1 cup of coffee from the (breakfast) cart located (at) the left of the (Tiffany's) on Wall Street each morning. The man in the cart also sells rolls that are made to look like bagels but taste exactly like rolls and donuts with lots of sugary icing and sprinkles sitting on paper towels absorbing the oil. I just get the coffee because it is really strong and really good with two Splendas and skim milk. He wraps the coffee in a brown paper bag and twists it, so it looks like I am carrying a bunch of flowers instead of a cup of joe.

The Tiffany's at 37 Wall Street has been there as long as I have: one year. I went from Sesame Street (a teacher) to Wall Street within a year as I left my twenties. There is no going back, and I do not want to go back. I loved my work as a teacher, but not even a wall could keep me away from Wall Street now.

Trinity Church is always the first image I see when I walk up the beaten steps from the 2,3 subway line. Oh, the irony. I feel no guilt here, folks. Each day I work hard to maximize your pensions, retirements, trusts, and 401 (k)s. In case you were wondering, my bank is the New York Bank, and I am proud to say we self-regulate like a pious Christian on Friday during Lent. I do not want to hear about the "fat cats" on Wall Street, because I happen to work for some of the kindest human beings out there. I love my CEO because he is a down to earth guy that puts his kids first and whose wife still drives a mini-van, thank you very much.

After my corner turn off of Wall Street towards Water, there is a lull of quiet that I relish before getting to the trading floor. Yes, I said trading floor. Over 200 traders and sales people on that floor with four screens a piece, lots of shouting about currencies, CNBC blasting all day, phones ringing, big pockets of laughter, and the best people in the world I say good morning to each day. My first view is right of the Brooklyn Bridge when I walk in and go sit down at my desk that I have come to feel like a home away from home.

I do not love all the work I do daily, but I love work. It is my ticket to write. Within one year I worked up from administrative tasks to now writing feature articles for our intranet site, being sent out to conferences with the marketing writing team, and editing monthly sales reports. It may not be the most glamourous of writing, but I still get to be creative and one day you will see my name on Bloomberg reporting the latest headlines. That I assure you. I am going back to school next autumn for a marketing degree on the bank's dime, and as much as it would pain me to leave the trading floor, I know there will be a desk for me as a writer in the corporate writing department soon enough.

You may know me as Thursday Next, blogging based on Jane Eyre and Bronte's words from my favorite novel. Here is the truer version of me now. I prostituted myself to the corporate world as Holly prostituted herself and I honestly have no regrets. I get the mean reds from time to time and am after the same rainbow's end you are. I drink plenty of cocktails like Holly but would kill to as thin as she is...though that could land me in Sing Sing. I am in love with an extremely complicated man who could definitely get a novel published and housed in The New York Library if he really focused on the task at hand.

Though not much of me has really changed. I still love to read, write, cook, and spend time with my family (and my nephew Jack is still the apple of my eye). That photo is one I took two weeks ago during my lunch break (I do not get an hour anymore) and I am still in awe that I work in such a great place. I did go into Tiffany's that afternoon and looked at rings...sapphire rings with diamonds on the side. If you are going to own Tiffany jewelry, one piece should be blue, shouldn't it? One day I will buy that ring for myself and engrave it with the words "Dream Maker."

So, this new blog is about dreams being made...

11 comments:

HLiza said...

Oh I was wondering what had kept you away..glad you found your way back..I miss reading those details of yours..thanks for remembering me..and oh yes I wish I can afford some of those from Tiffany's..

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

So THIS is where you went! I wondered why you hadn't been blogging. I missed the love stories(sweet)...and the cooking! Oh, how I would droll over your recipes! (Is that blog still up?) I hope you are well, friend! Thanks for commenting. And for the hint! Great to "see" you again!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

is you r cooking blog still up? If so will you resend the link...I would love to get some of those recipes!

Glad to hear Jack is good, as well as Mr Complicated. Smile.

darkfoam said...

Hey!!!!!
i thought that was you as i was reading. just so very recently i thought of you and was hoping that all was going well.
i'm so glad you are back ..
smooch!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

You're alive! I was worried about you. I'm so happy that you're back. You were missed.

Aunty Belle said...

Oh Chile!!!

Glory Be, darlin'--I love it!

Thursday at TIffany's --ha!!

Sweet thang, Aunty is right thar' wif ya--I mean, ain't nuthin' wrong wif' "Fat cats" who can "self-regulate like a pious Christian on Friday during Lent. "

THe mroe the merry, I say. (It's the lyin' cheatin' fat -cats who gum up the works , ya know)

Run wif' the wind, Puddin'--I look forward to seein' ya on Bloomberg!

moi said...

Aw, sweetie, I'm so happy for you! It sounds like you are doing well and doing work that you love and are proud of. I always treasured your posts about NYC because through them, I could BE there, in that city that I love so much and which unfortunately is too far away from me. Enjoy your holiday!

chickory said...

welcome back. im happy to read how happy you are. you really are a new york girl. oh those rottie days of poetry? well, that art was inspired by the opportunity to beat down opponents in a duel for a mayden. and, those conditions are rare. so im painting.

see ya on bloomberg, then? okay!

Huckleberry Friend said...

Hi Everyone - thanks for making this the best Sunday morning in a LONG time! Its great to wake up to all of you again and thanks for being here again!

Yep, there will be plenty of cooking, plenty of Jack, and I am sure a political debate or two just for Aunty B! :)

And in case you were wondering, Chick(ory), I have mucho problemos with Obama's health care plan. UGH...

fishy said...

Hi HF,
I followed the link here from Chickory. Bravo! to you for finding a path to a future of your own choosing. Blooberg has something good to look forward to, as do we.

Markered onto my bathroom mirror is the following:
" There are only two reasons a woman abandons her dreams. The first is the dream might be realized, the second is it might not. Without the dream she is lost."

I applaud any individual who refuses to settle and chooses to pursue.

Anonymous said...

Well hello there, Huckleberry Friend :) I love your name, love this post, and look forward to hearing more of your adventures!